Alcohol Abuse or Alcoholism?
Alcohol abuse can be a problem but there's a difference between abuse and being dependent. Being dependent means that you are an 'alcoholic'.
Take the test and see if you need help, or if there's a problem at all.
This test is called the ‘CAGE’.
1)Have you ever felt that you should Cut down on your drinking?
2) Have people A annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
3) Have you ever felt bad or G guilty about your drinking?
4) Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (E ye opener)?
If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to 1 of these questions. There may indicate a problem and you may simply have to cut down.
If you’ve answer ‘yes’ to 2 or more of these questions it's likely that you have a drinking problem.
Still not sure?
The following simple test is used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore to help determine if a patient is an alcoholic. Answer yes or no to these 20 questions.
1) Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
2) Does drinking make your home life unhappy?
3) Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4) Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5) Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
6) Have you ever had financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
7) Do you turn to lower companions and inferior environments when drinking?
8) Does your drinking make you care less of your family’s welfare?
9) Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
10) Do you crave a drink at a definite time?
11) Do you want a drink the next morning?
12) Does drinking affect your sleep?
13) Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
14) Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
15) Do you drink alone?
16) Do you escape from worries or troubles?
17) Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
18) Has your physician ever treated you for drinking or referred you for counseling?19) Do you drink to build up self-confidence?
20) Have you ever been to a hospital or institution because of drinking?
If you answer yes to any one of the questions, it is a warning that you may be an alcoholic.
If you answer yes to any two, chances are that you are an alcoholic.
If you answer yes to 3 or more, you are an alcoholic.
Want another self test for alcohol addiction
More on effects of alcohol abuse
It's not uncommon for older people to become addicted to alcohol or drugs.
If you think you have a problem with alcohol abuse, there are pages on this site that can help you find
what treatment is right for you.
Still want more information?
Alcohol abuse vs. alcoholism - some have to do it their way
Concerned about alcohol abuse affecting a
Get facts on binge drinking
This is an official site of AA there are many that are not.
If you are a child of an alcoholic/addict you can
get help with that
If you've been in recovery and have had a slip, go to Alcohol Anonymous, an addiction counselor, or
recovery coaching may be just the help you need.
Coaching can be the most effective way to stop your behavior and get you on track.
Did you know that
women have different addiction problems than men?
For free monthly self-help tips subscribe to Powerful Life.