Sex Addiction Treatment Works
" align="right" data-pin-media="http://www.untwist-your-thinking.com/images/838672_33033366.jpg" style="margin-left: 12px; margin-top: 8px">
Sex addiction treatment is similar to other obsessive/compulsive behavior.
Often stress is a trigger to resort to compulsive behavior and in this addiction, it feeds the need to withdraw and fantasize.
Sex addicts my be dependent upon the physical and psychological arousal triggered by levels of phenylethylamine (PEA) a brain chemical involved in euphoria and excitement and other stress-related neurotransmitters.
Love and sex addicts may be dependent on the physical and psychological arousal triggered by PEA and stress related neurotransmitters.
The sex addiction usually comes in stages:
1) Preoccupation: there are fantasies about partners or situations which can trigger the act.
2) Rituals: a preferred sexual activity or situation is often stereotyped and repetitive
3) Compulsion: engaging in the activity regardless of negative consequences and desire to stop.
4) Despair: guilt, shame or remorse over inability to control the behavior.
5) Other behavioral problems can be involved ex. chemical dependency and eating disorders.
The first thing to do is recognize that you are out of control with this addiction and that you need help. You have to take a hard look at yourself and the emotional, physical or financial stresses in your life.
Treatment involves education about healthy sexuality as well as controlling the addictive behavior. If you are with a partner, it may be beneficial to include the partner in therapy.
Cognitive Therapy works for sex addiction therapy
12-step programs, and support groups are also helpful for sex addiction recovery. And if the problem does not involve illegal activities ex. obscene phone calls or molestation (sex addicts don't necessarily become sex offenders) Then, you may be helped by
Your thoughts effect they way you behave, so in sex addiction treatment, you learn to
change your negativity
so you can live a more powerful and productive life.
Sex addicts can be linked to computer addiction
Want more facts on
sex addiction treatment
Have a question?
Here's how to post it.
For free monthly self-help tips, sign up for Powerful Living
Sources: North City Psychological Group, San Diego, CAJames, J. Addicted to Love: Sex, Love and Compulsion: Do It Now Foundation.
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.