And like any other addiction, the first thing you have to do is get rid of your
and break your denial.
Tips to break video game addiction
1) Admit there is a problem and tell others about it.
2) Ask yourself, if you are addicted to a particular game or is it any game?
3) Figure out what causes you to play addictive games. Ex: when you’re around certain people, at particular website? These are your triggers to play and you should avoid them. They give you cravings.
4) Wean yourself off a video game addiction gradually.
5) Time yourself. If you play on the computer 22 hours a week, cut down to 19 or so. Keep at it, and fill your time with the activities that you’ve been avoiding.
Don’t be hard on yourself. Like any addiction, you will relapse and go back to your old behavior. Don’t be discouraged, just get back on track, and stick to your goal to cut down and eventually stop altogether.
There are no 12-step recovery programs for computer addiction, however, because this is a growing problem which affects more and more young people, I’m sure that there will be. Sometimes medication for anxiety is helpful, as well as
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy,
coaching for addictive games
can help you or someone you know get back on track.